To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Tuesday 4 May 2021

 “Could I have some commemorative Stamps, please, to put on some postcards?”

The lady at the counter looked at me as if I were Hans Solo cousin or a voyager from some time warping machine.

“sorry, only general issue auto-adhesive stamps for national or international service. We haven’t seen stamps here in a long while….”

“isn’t this a post office?”

“yes, but ….stamps….”

I looked around: a postal bank counter; shelves with books to sell; people paying utilities invoices; people wanting to ship parcels, but stamps……

This is a true and recent story. It happened to me just yesterday, when I went to post a couple of postcards and some covers to friends elsewhere in the globe.

On my return to this hobby, I couldn’t believe that stamps have become so almost ethereal in their existence….

There was a time when stamps were everywhere. True that there were not that many commemorative issues and most stamps on circulation were definitive that would circulate for a lot of time, but you could start collecting them because a good deal of the correspondence you’d get at home would have stamps on it. Nowadays you may never get a stamped envelope in your mailbox in a long while. There are probably children today that have never seen a stamped cover in their lives.

I like stamps, I was never a great collector, but I marvel at all the art and skill that goes into designing a stamp.

For me, looking at stamps can be an exercise akin to going to a museum. A pleasure for the eyes; a source of inspiration; a trigger to curiosity.

True that collectors love their stamps to be pristine  or MNH as their jargon goes, but lately I’ve come to think that part of the beauty of a stamp lies in its purpose.

A cancelled stamp tells a greater story than a mint one. further to the event or situation, or place or personality, etc. it celebrates,  it’s postmark bears the sound of distance conquered; the aura of good or bad news delivered; the wear and tear of mission accomplished.

I understand that stamps are also prey to automation and most of all to dematerialisation of processes. There’s no going back in evolution (a debatable assertion, I concede), but I’m hoping that stamps live longer than my own self.

And most of all I hope that next time I go to the post office I might be able to buy…. Stamps!

No comments:

Post a Comment