To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Wednesday 12 May 2021

 I’m joining a cover exchange club…

Blessed internet! This is really what I think all the communication tools now at our prompt disposal are really good and useful for: bridging space and distance, be it geographic; idiomatic; cultural; economic; political... all the adjectives that were once synonyms of a humble and perennial noun: difficulty.

When I was a kid colleting stamps in a shoebox, it was difficult to get access to stamps from any other country than yours. The more so if you lived, as I did, in a peripheral region where not even TV was available (what, on the other hand contributed to my having had a most joyous and happy youth). Since there were some people in our vicinity who had relatives who had immigrated to the USA, where there was (and is) a large Portuguese Azorean community, sometimes you’d come across and American stamp, but that was it.

My father, who was not a stamp collector, but who also believed in getting to know other people and in bridging cultural divides, once told me I should get a pen pal.

A Capital - that as the name of the now long gone newspaper  I believe to be the culprit - used to have a small section every month or so where it published addresses of people looking for penpals.  I chose one from Teresina, Piauí, Brazil, since I could only write in my mother tongue.

Armed with my 10 year old scant cultural baggage and scanter warehouse of words, I pulled a sheet of paper from my school notebook and wrote the traditional opening sentence that has graced millions of such letters before me: “Hi, my name is Pedro and I live in Portugal in Santa Maria Island, in the Azores, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, and I am 10 years old”. I also added that I was collecting stamps and that I would love to have some Brazilian ones.

My father posted the letter, because I hadn’t the means (too few coins in the piggybank) to do it. And I forgot about it.

Months later, the postman rang once (he never needed to ring twice, for me). He handed me a nice cover, bordered in green and yellow stripes. On the top right corner, a couple of stamps. I was ecstatic. The more so when I carefully opened the cover: along with a nice letter from a girl who was twenty something years old, I believe, but who had been kind enough to reply to my childish missive,  a bunch of used stamps lay between the folds of the letter.

The stamps are long lost, my pen pal wrote me a couple of letters more and that was it, and i grew up to collect a lot of other immaterial things like stories from books, songs from records or friendships from people I came across along the way.

But  it all boiled down to bridging space and distance, and that’s why today I joined a cover exchange club.

No comments:

Post a Comment