To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Saturday 5 June 2021

Generosity, when considering  the qualities we reserve for our species (given that qualities and defects seem to derive from a degree of awareness and rationalism only attainable by beings with the capacity to make judgements about themselves and others) is one of the qualities I value most.

In fact, and I would be lying if I were to say otherwise, it gives me great pleasure to be the subject of the generosity of others, in much the same way as it pleases me to reciprocate such gestures or  to have them, unexpectedly,  towards others.

This thought comes to mind because, very recently, people who have never seen me, do not know me, know nothing about me, performed generous acts of offering  of which I was the beneficiary , only because they knew that the objects they offered, in this case collectible postage stamps, would please me.

Perhaps if they knew me better, disagreed with my opinions, found me lacking in qualities, found me full of defects, or simply - as so often happens with us being unable able to explain it - "didn't like my face", they would still do it.

And this is really what I like to think.

Despite all the differences, value judgements, prejudices, good or bad ideas, there may always be a point of contact, a link in the chain, a least common denominator that brings us together and accommodates us as a diverse, plural, multitudinous species.

A stamp and what it represents - the right to travel, an affirmation of nationality (and not of nationalism, as it is so fashionable today, for the worst reasons) and sovereignty - and what it focuses on - a cultural landmark, an anniversary, a scientific achievement, our heritage, natural or constructed, etc., etc. - is perhaps a perfect example of this.

All over the world, there are people like me who are unaware of others who share an interest with them. The main thing is that this interest be positive, constructive, a net contributor to concord and understanding (not unanimism and chauvinism). In a word, it is fundamental that this interest is supported  by a cultural dimension.

And then, it is no less fundamental that we discover each other  and let ourselves be taken up by our duty as the cultural ambassadors that we all are, due to our upbringing in one (or several) cultural reality(ies) wherein, through the simple act of living, we forged our tastes, usages, beliefs (or lack thereof).

Because if culture is the basis, fulcrum and support of relationships that generate understanding and progress, being this or that; from here or there; like this or like that is, let's not forget, the work of chance. We did not ask our parents to be, or to be born, much less here or there.

Let us not lose the capacity to question ourselves. We were not sent into the world with a mission. We take the path we choose, always, and that path can always have room to accommodate others walking with us, everyone, as long as they share our will to walk, or a sincere and generous gesture such as the one that I was a beneficary of, when people who have never seen me, do not know me, know nothing about me, offered me highly appreciated stamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment