To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Wednesday 21 July 2021

COVER N.25 - United Kingdom
Postmark: Windsor - 19JUN2021
Posted on the  19th july; received on the 21st July.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Great Britain... It used to be part of a greater idea..., it's an island..., again. I still remember as a kid, in 1973, the TV airing a soccer match to commemorate the UK joining the Common Market... I don't know why I remember it, I'm not even a soccer fan, my own country was still ages from joining the EEC, but the fact is that I do remember it, as clearly as the day I woke up to find on the 7 o'clock news, again on TV, that the "No" had won.

People made the choice, one can only respect (although disagreeing with it...)

Anyway, Simon sent me this very nice cover, with three stamps that fit my bill for defining what makes a great stamp. Thank you so much Simon.


The three se-tenant 1st class stamps (domestic; up to 100g) were issued on 17SEP2009, in the company of another 3 stamp se-tenant set with an individual face value of 90p, dedicated to Royal Navy Uniforms of yore and today.

The beautiful images show a Flight Deck Officer from one of the three aircraft carriers operational in the UK in 2009 (HMS Invincible; HMS Illustrious and HMS Ark Royal) marshalling an aircraft on the deck; a 2nd World War Royal Navy Ship Captain in 1941 attire, and a  2nd Officer of Women's Royal Navy Service, popularly and affectuously known as Wrens, in the closing year of the War to end all wars,  1918.

The very clear and carefully applied postmark lets us know that this beautiful cover was mailed from Windsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment