To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Tuesday 14 September 2021

POSTCARD N.34 -  United States of America

Postcrossing postcard sent on the 27th August; received on the 9th September
Postcard image: The Castle, Capitol Reef National Park, Utah, 1947 by Ansel Adams
_________________________________________________________________________________

Scanning an Ansel Adams photograph..even if in a postcard... I know it is pure sacrilege, but I only did it for the purpose of maintaining a record of all the covers and postcards I receive - such is the nature of my blog, anyway - and as such I believe this to be fair usage (like it also happens with all the other postcards and stamps whose image I publish here)

Mr. Adams is my all time favourite photographer and all I could say of him would be either redundant and mundane, because it has been said by others millions of times before,  or self-evident, obvious, because words are unnecessary when trying to describe the carrousel of emotions that a picture like "the Grand Tetons and the snake river " or Moonrise over Hernandez,  New Mexico", to name but two of his most well known masterpieces, can evoque in one's brain.

Once, quite a few years ago I was in Spain, in Galicia, to be more precise, and I passed by this building of a foundation in the centre of A Coruña. Huge posters announced an anthological exihibiton of Ansel Adams works, organised by the George Eastman International Museum of New York. That day I knew I needn't bet on the lottery anymore because all my luck had just been used up. I hastily found a parking place for my car and ran to the venue to visit the exhibition,  which, on top of it all, If I remember correctly, had free admission.

150 first generation prints of Ansel Adams works, with all the great classics that I das seen in books, now in front of my eyes, as full size magnificent prints.... I'll never forget the day!

Thank you so much for your card, Matt. I loved it!

Stamps, left to right:


The small stamp on the left was issued on 24JAN21 as part of a 4 self-adhesive stamp set available in coils of se-tenant strips of the 4 designs or panes with 5 sets of the 4 designs. With no face value, it carries the mention "Postcard" what leads me to think that it could be used to mail a postcard domestically....am I right?

the Bicentenary of the birth of  the poet Walt Withman, the famed author of Leaves of Grass, is the subject of the second stamp, also with no face value but with the inscription "Three ounce" so again I'd presume that such a stamp could be used to mail a up to 3 ounce letter in the domestic service, but I really am speculating here....

The machine applied cancelation reads S SUBURBAN IL 604 what indicates that the card was posted in one of the towns served by the mail processing centre of Bedford Park, Illinois. 

No comments:

Post a Comment