To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Wednesday 13 October 2021

COVER N.44 - Romania

Postmark:  Oneşti 1, Ghiseu 1  06OCT21
Posted on the 6th October; received on the 13th October
__________________________________________________________________________________

Romania! Thank you, Nicolae, for allowing me to add another country to my cover collection!
One of the last summer trips I took before the pandemic was to Romania, where my wife and I sojourned for about a forthnight, travelling around the country. and what an experience it was. Romania is really a great country with warm and kind people and full of interesting sites to see be it man made or natural. There's much more to see and enjoy than the "mamoothal" parliament building built by the infamous dictator which on par with Dracula are perhaps the 2 most iconic things that come to everyone's mind when thinking of Romania. Magnificent monasteries, amazing wooden churches, fortified medieval churches, a good-humoured graveyard, an amazing mountain road, mountains, bears what is not to like...? And then there's this:


My suggestion? Go there, get out of Bucharest and travel around. You'll love it!


Knowing I like stamps with local costumes, Nicolae used as the main stamp on this lovely envelope a stamp issued on 11SEP2013 with people wearing traditional costumes. This was a joint emission with Poland and I was lucky enough to already have received the Polish version on another cover I have in the collection. 

The Romanian costume featured on the left side of the stamp is typical of the region of the Bistrita-Năsăud, whose capital Bistrita, I had the pleasure of visiting on my journey through Romania, while the Polish costumes, on the right, are typical of the Krakow region.

The remaining two stamps that Nicolae used were issued on 21AUG1970 and are part of a 6 stamp set dedicated to Roses. Other than the Vienna Charm (35 Ban) and the Pink Lustre (55 Ban) varieties, the set also included the Iceberg (20 ban); Piccadilly (1 Leu); Orange Delbard (1,5 Leu) and  Sibelius (2,40 Leu) varieties. I really like the design of all of these stamps and it is amazing that I am now receiving a cover stamped with stamps that were issued when I was 10 years old...

The very clear postmark states that the cover was mailed from the city of Oneşti, a region on the centre East of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment