To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Saturday 29 January 2022

POSTCARD N.64 - Australia

Postcrossing postcard sent on ?; received on the 22nd January
Postcard image: Sidney Harbour Bridge
____________________________________________________________________

Some landmarks are so iconic that photographing them can be very challenging: finding a viewing angle that has yet to be tried; a lighting that has never been captured; an uncommon choice of focal distance,  all these are options that photographers usually resort to, but in such cases, it can be a daunting task because probably the same photograph has already been taken by someone else... same as music, I often think. The combination of the 7 notes is almost endless, but at some point a single phrase or part of it will invoke in the listener a  déjà vu (or déjà entendu in this case :-)) sensation.


Wanting as I may, I have never been to Australia; I have never seen the Sidney Harbour bridge in the... iron!. And yet I can easily identify it if not for anything else for having seen it year after year on new year's eve, under the lights of the fireworks, on TV.

that is, until now. I got this beautiful postcard from Claire (thanks a lot, Claire) and i thought, oh, nice, quite a fine bridge, but only later, after reading the card  and looking for a while at the photograph on it did I realize that this was the arch of the Sidney bridge, from and angle I was totally stranger to and with a choice of focal length that isn't the obvious choice when photographing large infrastructures.

Sidney bridge, designed by the British concern Dorman Long is the eight longest spanning steel arch bridge in the world, and  was inaugurated in 1932, following almost nine years of construction that started in 1923 and as I write, I'm wishing one day I'll be able to add to this blog entry its photograph taken by none other than me!

Stamps:

 Claire used an Australian Post pre-paid postage postcard with a printed stamp valid for "Posting in Australia and delivery worldwide" No cancellation mark was applied to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment