To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Tuesday 8 February 2022

 POSTCARD N.67 - Germany

Postcrossing postcard sent on the 25th October; received on the 4th February
Postcard image: Glenfinnan, Scotland
____________________________________________________________________

Better late then never, I've heard it so many times said. Well, this old aforism fits like a glove to this postcard I got from Monique, in Germany. Thank you Monique. The postcard took a staggering 107 days, that is to say three and a half months, to travel from Anklam, near the Baltic, to my place, near the Atlantic... 

The first thing that stroke me as I looked at the card was that I knew the place in the picture, but somehow I could not associate it to Germany... and so right I was....upon turning the postcard over to inspect the stamp I noticed the little legend, Scotland 2021, and all of a sudden it all came to light: The Glenfinnan monument, by Loch Shiel... not only did I know the place but I had been there and had even climbed to the top of the monument to take a look at the view.

I went looking for photos of my passing through Glenfinnan...




Quoting from the official site of the National Trust for Scotland:

Surrounded by mountains on the shores of Loch Shiel, Glenfinnan Monument is a Highland gem and a tranquil spot from which to imagine the day when one of the most important events in Scottish history began here: the 1745 Jacobite Rising.

Eight months before the Battle of Culloden, 1,200 Highlanders gathered in Glenfinnan to pledge their allegiance to Prince Charles Edward Stuart. After raising the royal standard (flag) and sharing a brandy, they set off on a fateful campaign to regain the British throne for a Stuart king.

In 1815, the 18m-high monument was built as a poignant reminder of the clansmen who gave their lives to the Jacobite cause. Today you can climb to the top and stand beside the lone Highlander for a unique Highland panorama.

Stamps


0,15€ stamp issued on 18DEC2018, as part of the long standing definitive emission started in 2005 themed on wild flowers. it shows a milkmaid (Cardamine pratensis). 

0,80€ stamp issued on 10JUN2021, commemorating the European Soccer Championship of 2020, which took place between 11 June and 11 july 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Italy took the cup home. 

The machine applied cancelation tells us that the card was processed via Briefzentrum 17 -  Neubrandenburg. I cannot read the vignette on the postmark, and its top third is also missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment