To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Sunday 8 January 2023

POSTCARD N.100 - NEW ZEALAND

Postcrossing postcard sent on the 27th November, received on the 30th December 2022

Postcard image: Milford Sound, Fiordland - Late afternoon at Milford Sound looking towards Mitre Peak.
__________________________________________________________________________________

How fitting that Postcard 100 should be  be coming from the Antipodes. Furthermore, it is one of the most beautiful postcards I got since I initiated my blog, one that is full of that "I want to go there"  atmosphere.... Thank you so much Belinda! your card is as great as the cover (#193) within which it travelled the  19 690 km that separate us.



I first heard of Milford Sound when I watched a documentary on TV, quite a number of years ago, about the Milford track.  The 3 day 53.5 km walk has, since then, been kept on my memory as one of the most beautiful tracks on the globe, and one that I would love to waste the sole of my hiking boots in, something that I'm pretty sure will never happen, for a good number of reasons...

I am not even sure that I will ever set foot in New Zealand, although I would absolutely love it, for it has to be one of the msot geographically diverse countries of the world, with an immense scenic beauty. Still one never knows what the future is holding in store, and hope is the last thing to die, so who knows...

Meanwhile I'l keep looking every once in a while at this beautiful postcard if only to remind me that there is a place, right opposite to the one I live in, that has this most amazing fiord and a three day walk that ends right in the middle of it... 

Belinda added a stamp to the postcard, even though she mailed it inside an envelope, just for the sake of it, and I'm glad that she did, because the little definitive stamps with scenic views of the country are great.

This 10 cent stamp is part of the original issue of this series, comprising 10 stamps, issued on 09MAY2007.





I

No comments:

Post a Comment