COVER N. 217 - FRANCE
Postmark: Métiers d'art Éventailliste- 1er Jour 10.02.23 - 26 Romans-sur-Isère
Posted on the 10th February; Received on the 27th February 2023
_________________________________________________________________________________
Every now and then, my highly anticipated daily
checking of the letterbox is rewarded not only with the joy of finding
one or more envelopes carefully addressed and stamped with bits of history and
culture from around the world, which of course is the main reason why I embarked on
this cover colleting journey, but also with the extra bonus of finding a
particular cover that stands out from the pack for a particular reason.
This of course is an highly subjective matter and has only to do with my own personal taste, since the reason for my considering a cover a bit more special than the rest can be due to a number of factors that might range from the quality of the handwriting on the address to the diversity and number of stamps used, the beauty of the stamps, the histories they invoke, or as in the present case, to the envelope being autographed by the authors of the quite attractive stamp that graces it ... nothing short of a treasure thus, Thank you so much Eric, for a very kind, appreciated and generous surprise.
There is probably no object that I can relate more to baroque musical soirées at le chateau de Monsieur le Comte than the hand fan which well powdered ladies in their corsets and round dresses would agitate frenetically to ward off the annoyance of heat, inquiring or indiscreet gazes, the inconveniences of menopause,.. etc, etc
Gone are the days of hand fan communication between aspiring or secret lovers but the little portable "air conditioning" device has long since been an ever common and useful companion in lots of places where the agglomeration of people coupled with the high ambient temperatures that are so frequent nowadays dictates the convenience of a wisp of air to freshen up. I know it because many were the times I begged my wife to lend me hers, at concerts, the theatre, etc.
Checking wikipedia for a bit of fan history I discovered that, as it often is the case, there is a Portuguese connection somewhere down the line. This time it is the fact that the Portuguese were responsible for the introduction in Europe, in the mid 16th, of the foldable fan, originated in Japan....
Anyway, hand fans were and are a great tradition that has traveled from the land of the rising sun to southern Europe and then irradiated north and across the Atlantic to the new world and beyond, thus going full circle.
There are places where the manufacture of hand fans is elevated to an art status, with intricate woodwork, carving. marqueterie, exquisite paintings on the fan, precious materials and so on and so forth. Spain is one such case, and France another and in this latter country some specialist artisans responsible for the creation of what are sometimes true masterpieces of utilitarian art are eligible to run for the title of Maitres d'Art, a distinction bestowed on them by the state, provided they are well known in their trade and are willing to pass on their knowledge to an apprentice, since the application is submitted by a pair artisan/apprentice.
In 2016, La Poste inaugurated a series dedicated to les Métiers d'Art with two stamps, one dedicated to the stone sculptors and another to the jewellers. On 10FEB2023 the 13th stamp of the series was issued, this being the 1,80€ stamp dedicated to the artisans manufacturing hand fans - the Éventaillistes - that Eric used on my cover, cancelled with a first day of circulation postmark.

You are right in considering this one a very special cover!
ReplyDeleteI love this series of Métiers d'Art. I have received some of the stamps, but I hadn't seen this one.
Oh, and I own several hand fans (mine are beautiful, but more useful that artsy!).
I too love this series.
Deleteas I type I could also do with an extra hand to waggle a hand fan.... I am so tired of this never ending summer....
I like the tiny tools of the éventailliste. Its a lovely series of stamps.
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed. The first day postmarks of the series are usually quite interesting also.
ReplyDeleteThanks for such a detailed description, and that postmark is very special! At least the humidity has gone away here in central Ohio, and it finally feels like autumn.
ReplyDeleteFrench First Day Postmarks are usually quite nice. Ours are not that bad either.
DeleteJust checked the forecast for the week. Beginning tomorrow temperatures seem to finally go down to where they be should this time of the year. Three cheers for Autumn.. Hip Hip...
A friend has just returned from Japan and she bought me a gorgeous fan. The inclusion of the tools of the trade are nice to see.
ReplyDeleteHow nice a gift. Fans can be stunning pieces of art.
DeleteSome of the otherstamps in the series also have the pertinent tools in them. a nice touch, indeed.