To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Sunday 2 July 2023

POSTCARD N.106 - TAIWAN

Postcrossing postcard sent on the 8th June, received on the 19th June 2023

Postcard image: Songzhi road, Xinyi District, Taipei 
__________________________________________________________________________________

A self-made postcard with an image of what is one of the most busiest shopping streets in Taipei, Michelle so tells me.

A quick search on the internet also provide me with the information that the Xinyi district in Taipei is the area with the biggest density of shopping malls in the world, no less than 14, so I suspect that when and if I'll visit Tawain one day, it won't rank as a priority in my places to visit list, since I feel shopping malls are much like cruise ships: once you've been in one (and I confess I've never and probably won't ever, unless there's no alternative), you've been in all of them....

This does not mean that I wasn't happy to receive Michelle's card, which of course I was, and it won't also refrain me from wishing her happy shopping, since she seems to enjoy it a lot!

I should also clarify that I do see advantages in the shopping mall concept. The convenience of having all you need to buy in one place promptly available with extended working hours is, of course... convenient, but I do acknowledge the effects they have on local small commerce and their contribution to transforming towns into lifeless dormitories.

also the inebriated shopping culture they thrive on with its constant appeal to consumism is something against which I try to shield myself as best as I can... 

I remeber when shopping malls were a novelty here... correction, I remember when big supermarket chains were a novelty here... correction, I remember when 1st generation neighborhood suppermarkets were a novelty here  (yes, I'm that old 😀). 

I remember when window shopping was a walk downtown. It all has changed since. All except one thing:

midway through our promenade we would pass by an home appliances shop and on the window, amidst the washing machines and fridges, there would always be a TV set turned on. As the promenade was usually on the weeked, invariably the TV would be airing a soccer match, so there would always be quite a few people stationed by the window nervously watching.... some 60 years after, If I go to my neighbouring mall on a weekend.... 



The 6 Taiwanese new Dollar stamp used by Michelle to mail the postcard is part of a set of two (6 and 13 NTD) issued on 01DEC2020, announcing the Year of the Ox, that would begin in 2021.



No comments:

Post a Comment