To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Sunday 3 September 2023

COVER N. 303 - MALTA

Postmark: Malta Post Ghajnsielem 12.08.23

Posted on the 12th August; Received on the 21st August 2023

_________________________________________________________________________________

Hot and humid Malta... at least according to my recollection of the Mediterranean archipelago I visited quite a few years ago.  So dense was the air that I felt i was banging my head  into a wall, as soon as I left the controlled environment of the Air Malta 737 I flew in from Lisbon, to breath the first breaths of Maltese air....sweat... all my pores were instantaneously open.... a flood that would drench me for the entire week or so I spent there whenever I left the freshness of the air conditioned hotel room...

I would love to visit again though. There's much to like in Malta, both man-made and natural, but I'll be sure to do it in a lesser aggressive month than July, as last time.... May, may be a good choice... spring is always a good choice.

Phantoms are not prey to such mundane human problems tough and 90+% of humidity in 30+º centigrade do not seem to affect them, so I was not that startled to receive this nice cover from the Ghost that walks, posted from Ghajnsielem, in the island of Gozo, the second largest of the Maltese Archipelago.

Thanks a lot Alex. 



Celebrating the 10th anniversary of Malta's own Comic Con, Malta post issued a three stamp set illustrated by well known comic artists, depicting scenes with comic heroes, in Maltese related environment.

The 0,05€ stamp of this set, on the cover, was designed by local artist and co-founder of Malta Comic Con Fabio Agius, and sets an armored soldier fighting a dragon in the pre-historic ruins of the Hagar Qim temple, on Malta's South West coast.

Malta is well know for its classic buses, which were in later years finally replaced by contemporary, and I believe much more fuel efficient, versions.

Over the years Malta Post has issued several sets dedicated to the theme and the 1€ stamp is part of the  2022 issue, comprising 4 stamps (0,30; 0,51; 0,59; 1 €), which began to circulate on 12FEB2022. 

The stamp shows a Ford Thames in the green Sliema Livery (it seems that according to the city they were based in, the colour of the buses changed, and I do have a distinct remembrance of the buses at the place where I was staying -  Sliema - being green). Aside from green,  I remember seeing red, and yellow (at the very least) buses.


On 28JUL2023, Malta Post issued a very nice 5 stamp set dedicated to Marine Life of the Mediterranean (0.01; 0.10; 0.20; 0.50; 2.50 €).

Two of these are on the cover: 

 - the 0.20 € stamp is illustrated with an image of  a sperm whale (Physeter macrocephalus), of which a small resident population still roans the Mediterranean waters;

 - the 0,10 € depicts a  Spinetail Devil Ray - Mobula mobular whose body can reach a width of up to 5 metres, being a species under legal protection in Malta.

all the stamps are cancelled by a very neatly applied postmark from the postal office off  Ghajnsielem, in the island of Gozo.



No comments:

Post a Comment