To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Wednesday, 2 September 2026

COVER N. 763 - DJIBOUTI

Postmark: Djibouti Principal Rep. Djibouti 13.08.2026

Posted on 13th August;  Received on the 18th August 2026

_________________________________________________________________________________

Nothing short of amazing. Nochmals danke sehr, Alex! 

Thanks to you I am able to tick another box in the countries list, something which fills me up with joy every time it happens. 

Also I would never think that a letter from Djibouti to Portugal would travel so fast. Excellent!

We don't hear much about Djibouti and I confess that excepting the fact of it being an eastern Africa country located in the horn of Africa, I knew nothing about it. So, I turned to the usual sources to find out that it was a former French colony up until 1977, the year when the Republic of Djibouti was officially established, and that it shares borders with Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia, its shores being at the confluence of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden.

I also learned that Djibouti has been led by the same party since its independence and the adoption of a constitution, which only occurred 15 years after the separation from France, in 1992, which consagrates multipartidarism and that  the current President was recently elected for a sixth term by 97.8% of the votes...

Djibouti ranks as 152 in the list of 195 countries and territories  included in the "Freedom in the World" Index of the European Commission. 



For postage, Alex used two stamps of a mini-sheet of 6 x 120 Djiboutian franc issued on 28APR2000 themed on trains.

The trains in the illustrations are the French TGV (left) and the Italian ETR 450 (right).

Postmark from the central Post Office at Djibouti city, the capital.


No comments:

Post a Comment