POSTCARD N.246 - SPAIN
Postcard dated of 19 August; received on the 27th August 2026
Postcard image: Sant Mateu (Castellon) - Ermita de la Mare de Deu dels Angels
_________________________________________________________________________________
Eva sends me a postcard with a view of the Ermita de la Mare de Deu dels Angels (Hermitage of Our Lady of the Angels), in Sant Mateu, province of Castellón. Moltes Graciès, Eva. It is always a pleasure to get to know new places and landmarks in our Peninsula.
To say that traditional touristic postcards can be windows to the world around us, echoes of a lapalissade, still I think it is worth mentioning it for the humble photo on a 10x15 rectangle has done a lot to preserve the memory of places, locals, buildings, infrastructures... you name it.
In the days before cameras in telephones and instant messaging, they were the physical counterpart to what we now do “matterlessly” through whatsapp or any email app.
And they were ubiquitous. At every village or town, or city, in every quiosk, newsstand, stationery store, side by side with the newspaper racks, there would be a rotating postcard display stand, with images of the local landmarks, or local views, humble as they might be.
It is in the physical nature that lays their utmost importance.
Some time ago I was visiting an exhibition in the museum of the city where I live. Part of it was dedicated to the evolution of a small fishing village that integrates city's municipal area, which I know quite well, as it stands today.
A century ago, it was quite different, of course, and yet, I could see how it evolved into what it is today, thanks to several postcards, issued in the course of that same century, that provided the perfect registry of the changes that the village went through.
Yes, today is so easy: you take a photo, you send it right away, but..........
no one puts the message in a shoebox anymore, no one cares about it, once it is sent and received, no one files it, classifies it, cares for it, collects it....
In a hundred years time, paradoxically, I wouldn't be surprised if it may prove to more difficult to organise an exhibition documenting the evolution through time of a specific place (if that place is not a major city or landmark) than in the days of the paper backed photography...
That's why postcards are also important. Cheap yet affective time capsules, they are...
There should be an international Postcard resurgence movement.. Eva (and I) and many others contribute to it.. hope it grows :-)


No comments:
Post a Comment