To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Monday 19 July 2021

POSTCARD N.12 - Vatican

Postcrossing postcard included in Cover n.24 
Potscard image: SSt. Peter's Basilica, a UNESCO WHS

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Janez visited the Vatican and kindly sent me this Vatican City Postcard on his return to his hometown of Bled, Slovenia, in cover n.24

The Vatican, the tiniest state in the world, is also, I'm sure, the one with the most artworks per inhabitant, due to its lavishly stuffed museums being located within the state, in the middle of the eternal city.


I first visited the Vatican in 1980, on an inter-rail trip I did with friends that would take us to Greece. I visited but saw literaly nothing, because on the train to Rome, I put my head out of the window and a piece of dust or earth or whatever flew directly into my left eye, causing some damage to the cornea, I later learned. I remeber being under the columns, at St. Peter's square trying to get a visual impression of it to no avail. I simply could not open my left eye, and it hurt...

I went in search of an hospital to be examined by a doctor. Luckily there was an ophtalmical hospital near the Vatican, so I went there, guided by one of the friends travelling with me. I remember being taken care of by this gorgeous intern Polish doctor and we both had a lot of fun trying to get ourselves understood: she spoke little english, I spoke but a few Italian words and certainly no Polish... all of a sudden two Carabinieri came in to the emergency ward where we were, with a fellow with his eyes badly bruised... Turns out a couple of days before a bomb had been placed in Bologna Central Station, killing 85 people. The guy was suspect of having been one of the terrorists who performed the horrible deed.

Many years later, I was strolling on the street on my way to visit the Vatican Museums when I noticed this yelow building and a strange déjà vu sensation took me by assault....I looked at the sign above the entrance, it read "Ospedale Oftalmico"....It all came back to me... 

No comments:

Post a Comment