To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Wednesday 11 October 2023

COVER N. 306 - BULGARIA

Postmark: SOFIA 1000 - 04.08.23

Posted on the 4th August; Received on the 22nd August 2023

_________________________________________________________________________________

A new entry in the county's list, and this time thanks to my own self. Well done Pedro!😀

During the Summer holidays I spent some days touring Bulgaria. While in Sofia, I managed to go to the central post office and mail a few letters I had prepared beforehand. I had a few communicational problems with the lady at the post office, but in the end I managed to mail all my covers, although, in retrospect, I wish I have had a bit more time to spend at the post office, so that I could have chosen what stamps to use. 

My  company was waiting  though, and I did not want to impose my time taking, so I had to completely rely on the decisions of the lady of the post office who spoke but one word of English: tomorrow.

I put my letters on the table and asked for stamps. She took a folder and for  those bound for Europe, after perusing some pages back and forth, out of it she took the stamp on the cover.


Saint Paisius of Hilendar (1722-1773) was a Bulgarian monk of the Hilandar monastery at Mount Athos. He is credited with being the responsible for kicking off the movement known as Bulgarian National revival, a nationalist movement aiming at liberating Bulgaria from Otoman rule, - something which was finally achieved in 1878, in the wake of the Russo-Turkish war of 1877-78 - with the publication, in 1762, of his historical book, Istoriya Slavyanobolgarskay.

On 28OCT2022, on the occasion of the tercentennial of the birth of Saint Paisius, Bulgaria Post issued a 1,90 Lev stamp celebrating this fact with the image of the monk holding his history book, presumably, in the foreground and the  monastery where he wrote it, in the background.

Of note is the fact that the colours used in the bands in middle of the image with the mention to 300 years, and the face value of the stamp (green and red) plus the white in background, are the colours of the Bulgarian flag, albeit on the flag the white stripe is on top, with the green and red following.

The stamp was glued onto the envelope by the lady herself, who literally immersed it in a damp sponge, so much so that it came out of it dripping....

When all the stamps were glued, I asked her by gestures to postmark them and also to postmark the envelope. 

To this she answered with a quite definitive "Tomorrow", so knowing my stuff was in good hands, I politely said goodbye and went away to meet my wife for a much deserved ice-cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment