To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Wednesday 11 October 2023

COVER N. 307 - BRITISH OVERSEAS TERRITORIES - FALKLANDS

Postmark: Stanley Falkland Islands 07.08.2023

Posted on the 7th August; Received on the 22nd August 2023

_________________________________________________________________________________

Some of my own doings again. This time a couple of covers from the Falklands, which I got in trade for an International Reply Coupon sent to the local Post Office.

The Falklands...Malvinas for the Argentineans, another of the colonial eccentricities of His Majesty's subjects.... do as I say, don't do as I do...

I still remember quite well the days of the infamous Malvinas war, a totally avoidable conflict of the kind dictatorships love to promote, so as to force a surge of  mouldy nationalism....same as is happening nowadays somewhere else.... at least it paved the way for democracy in Argentina, with the fall of the Junta....

Anyway, I was hoping for some fauna stamps, but I forgot to mention it and so I got local views instead... nothing against, and a new postal operator to the list... maybe one day I'll will have a cover from the Malvinas  Post Office... who knows...



On the 20th may 2022, Port Stanley was officially  awarded city status by Her Majesty the Queen as part of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

To mark the occasion The Falklands Postal Service issued a four stamp set (33p 80 p; 1.03 Pound; 1.30 Pound), with photos of some of the city landmarks.

On the cover the 80 p stamp is illustrated with a view of the Secretariat Building and the Liberation Monument, built in 1982 which celebrates the British forces active in the conflict with Argentina.


No comments:

Post a Comment