To open my mailbox like someone opening a surprise box and to feel the pleasure of discovery unleashed by an envelope decorated with stamps.
To be part of the world and also to discover it this way, with the help of those who share this vision.

Wednesday 3 July 2024

COVER N. 480 - GERMANY

Postmark: Illegible

Posted on 25th June (?); received on the 1st July 2024

_________________________________________________________________________________


It has been a while since I received a Postcrossing postcard. My fault mainly, since I haven't sent out that many in a while too, but two of my latest sendings were not registered as received, so that hindered my position as a recipient too. 

So I was quite pleased to receive a beautiful letter from Germany (probably the country with most Postcrossing users) with a postcard inside and a couple of nice stamps on it, 

Danke Sehr, Antje! Ich habe deine postkarte geliebt! (ouch... my German lessons were so much long ago...hope I got it right..)


Antje, like me, is a music lover, she even plays the violin in a mall orchestra, and knowing I used to sing in a choir (something which presently is not occurring, unfortunately) she did her best to find a stamp that she knew I would be pleased with.

An so she used a 1€ stamp, part of a three se-tenant stamp strip dedicated to famous boys choirs.

The choirs honoured in this set, issued on 13FEB2003, are:

- the Leipziger Thomanerchor (0,45€), the guardians of the the works of the Thomaskantor, from 1 June 1723 till his death on 28 July 1750, who, of course, was none other than the incomparable Johann Sebastian Bach;

- the Dresden Kreuz Choir (=,55€), the boys' choir of the Kreuzkirche in Dresden, and

- the Regensburger Domspatzen, (1€) the choir of the Regesburg cathedral, this being the stamp which can be seen on the cover.

The mechanical postmark is totally illegible but  I gather that the letter was sent from Zwickau, the place depicted also in the postcard that was inside the envelope and also a musically connected location, but more on that for the postcard entry.



No comments:

Post a Comment